Clevedon Station and Shed
002 image a
002 image b
002 image c
002 image d
The Weston Clevedon and Portishead Light Railway was one of the railways managed by Colonel H.F. Stephens. A heterogeneous collection of rolling stock and locomotives were used on this railway, the route of which ran parallel to the coast of the Bristol Channel and then along the Gordano Valley.

The fireman has stoked the fire on WCPR No 2 “Portishead” (former S.R / L.B.S.C. “Terrier” Class 0-6-0 “Gipsyhill” built at Brighton in 1877) while the driver has oiled around the rods before departing with the 8.10am service for Weston Super Mare.

Viewed from left to right outside the sheds is seen WCPR No 5, an 0-6-0 saddle tank built by Manning Wardle of Leeds in 1919.

Next is WCPR No 1 “Clevedon”, a 2-4-0 tank built by Dubs of Glasgow in 1879 for the Jersey Railway.

Finally WCPR No 4 “Hesperus” a 2-4-0 tank built by Sharp, Stewart and Co. of Manchester in 1876 for The Watlington and Princes Risborough Railway.

In 1933 the Second Class Fare from Clevedon to Weston Super Mare was 1/1d. The railway closed to all traffic in May 1940.

Site reference 002/1