A Wren in Vallis Vale

Kerr Stuart “Wren” Class 0-4-0 Saddle Works No. 1188 of 1910 Tank hauls a train of quarried limestone to the processing plant and exchange sidings at Hapsford along the 2ft 3ins gauge railway in Vallis Vale, to the west of Frome. The Somerset Quarry Company Ltd, Frome; operated quarries in Vallis Vale between 1893 and the 1930’s when it was absorbed into Roads Reconstruction (1934) Ltd. The railway was re-equipped and relayed to 2ft Gauge in 1934 but was rebuilt again to standard gauge during the mid-1940s. The sinuous route through Vallis Vale was abandoned in the 1970’s when a new standard gauge line to Whatley Quarry was opened..
Site reference 0013/2